Output configuration

Bartok

Output configuration

Post by Bartok »

Hi, everyone!

I have a POD HD500X which I am planning to use with my amp head and my cabinet. For that reason, I had selected “Stack Front” as output configuration, but I have noticed its volume is too low.

On the other hand, it sounds OK when I select “Recording/Studio”.

I suppose I should be using “Stack Front” but I imagine I have forgot activate/deactivate a “hided” configuration option...

Can anyone imagine what should I do?

Best,
Bartok
LINE6 POD HD500X for Electric Bass
hurghanico

Re: Output configuration

Post by hurghanico »

Bartok wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:38 pm Hi, everyone!

I have a POD HD500X which I am planning to use with my amp head and my cabinet. For that reason, I had selected “Stack Front” as output configuration, but I have noticed its volume is too low.

On the other hand, it sounds OK when I select “Recording/Studio”.

I suppose I should be using “Stack Front” but I imagine I have forgot activate/deactivate a “hided” configuration option...

Can anyone imagine what should I do?

Best,
Bartok
Hi Bartok, and welcome..

if you are going to connect the POD to the front panel input of your amp, I guess that you don't want to use the POD amp models but only its effects..

the output modes other than Studio/Direct should be used only when you want to use both the amp models (and in particular also their cab/mic model) and your real amp together at the same time, in order to get optimized results in those particular scenarios..

therefore if you don't plan to use also amp/cab/mic models with your amp, Studio/Direct output mode is the way to go..

remember also that there is a switch near the expression pedal called 1/4" OUT which can be set to AMP or LINE..

theoretically if you connect the POD to the front panel input of your amp, the above switch should be set to AMP, but if instead you connect the POD to the RETURN input (usually on the rear panel of the amp) of your amp the above switch should be set to LINE (hotter signal needed in this type of connection)..

connecting the POD to the RETURN input of an amp is a good way to use the pre-amp versions of the various amp models available with the real power-amp of your amp (in this type of connection the pre-amp part of your amp is bypassed and only the power-amp is used), but even in this case if you don't enable also the cab/mic models, no output modes other than Studio/Direct is really necessary
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

Thank you for your help, hurghanico!

You are right... I have got a first class bass amp, so I don’t need another amp simulation in the sound chain, because I prefer always my real amp sound. So, it sounded a very low volume because I was testing the amp simulations...

I think the best option is using the “Front Stack” configuration but only using HD500X’s effects. If someday I want to use its amp simulations, I will connect the HD500X on the FX Loop and I will select “Studio/Direct”.

On the other side, I imagine if I use “Front Stack” with no amp simulations, there is no way of having “post” effects, isn’t it?
allabouthd500x
Site Admin

Post by allabouthd500x »

Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:08 am ..I imagine if I use “Front Stack” with no amp simulations, there is no way of having “post” effects, isn’t it?
Exactly, if you connect the POD to the front panel input of your amp there is no way to put some effects of the POD like Delay or Reverb in the FX LOOP of your amp (ie basically between the pre-amp and power-amp).

To be able to use your amp fully and also put the POD effects wherever you want you should use the 4 cable method.
In case you want to try the 4CM you don't need to use output modes other than Studio/Direct.
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

I imagined that... Anyway, I would have some doubts about how to configure the effects that I want for the FX loop on the HD500X... Maybe, I imagine I should select some effects BEFORE the “Amp Icon”, put the “FX Icon” AFTER the Amp, but I don’t know where locating the effects I want for the “FX Loop”...
allabouthd500x
Site Admin

Post by allabouthd500x »

Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:27 pm I imagined that... Anyway, I would have some doubts about how to configure the effects that I want for the FX loop on the HD500X... Maybe, I imagine I should select some effects BEFORE the “Amp Icon”, put the “FX Icon” AFTER the Amp, but I don’t know where locating the effects I want for the “FX Loop”...
If to be able to put some effects before your amp and some effect in the amp FX LOOP you plan to use the 4 cable method I suggest to give a look at the following post: 4 Cable Method

Bartok

Post by Bartok »

Thank you!! Now I understand everything! ;)
allabouthd500x
Site Admin

Post by allabouthd500x »

Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 pm Thank you!! Now I understand everything! ;)
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

By the way... If I want to use the amp simulation and “Pre” / “Post” effects on my real amp, I imagine I should use only 3 cables, shouldn’t it?

1. Bass —> HD500X (+ “Pre” effects)
2. HD500x’s Send —> Amp FX Return
3. Amp FX Send —> HD500X’s Return (+ “Amp Simulation” + “Post” effects)

Is it correct? :?
hurghanico

Post by hurghanico »

Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:05 pm By the way... If I want to use the amp simulation and “Pre” / “Post” effects on my real amp, I imagine I should use only 3 cables, shouldn’t it?

1. Bass —> HD500X (+ “Pre” effects)
2. HD500x’s Send —> Amp FX Return
3. Amp FX Send —> HD500X’s Return (+ “Amp Simulation” + “Post” effects)

Is it correct? :?
If your rig is already configured for the 4CM you can simply turn off the FX LOOP block in the chain of your patch, doing so the pre-amp of your amp will be bypassed and you can replace it with one of the pre-amp models.

But if you are sure that you want to use only the pre-amp models (thus bypassing always your amp's pre-amp) with your amp's power-amp/cab, you can use just 2 cables:
1. Bass —> HD500X +( “Pre” pre-amp model effects) + (“Post" pre-amp model effects)
2. HD500X standard output —> Amp FX Return