Settings menu: Low Cut & High Cut

Bartok

Settings menu: Low Cut & High Cut

Post by Bartok »

Hi, again!

I am using the HD500X with a five strings electric bass (Low B). Its lower note is B0 (31Hz). On the other side, I am using a bass cabinet which has a frequency response from 35Hz to 16kHz.

In the setting menú (page 11/12) I can set:

• Low Cut
• Low Frequency
• Mid Frequency
• High Frequency
• High Cut

I have set the Low Cut to 35Hz and the High Cut to 16kHz, which is the REAL response of the cabinet I am using, for cleaning the low end, and avoiding wasting a lot of energy on the sub-low. Some similar on High Cut... I avoid send signals higher than the cabinet limit. Do you think this adjustments are correct, as I think?

On the other side, the Low, Mid & High Frequency of this page are general adjustments of cut frequency on each band for all the patches? If not, where does it affect the sound?

Best,
Bartok
LINE6 POD HD500X for Electric Bass
allabouthd500x
Site Admin

Re: Settings menu: Low Cut & High Cut

Post by allabouthd500x »

Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:22 am I am using the HD500X with a five strings electric bass (Low B). Its lower note is B0 (31Hz). On the other side, I am using a bass cabinet which has a frequency response from 35Hz to 16kHz.

In the setting menú (page 11/12) I can set:

• Low Cut
• Low Frequency
• Mid Frequency
• High Frequency
• High Cut

I have set the Low Cut to 35Hz and the High Cut to 16kHz, which is the REAL response of the cabinet I am using, for cleaning the low end, and avoiding wasting a lot of energy on the sub-low. Some similar on High Cut... I avoid send signals higher than the cabinet limit. Do you think this adjustments are correct, as I think?
IMO the amp real cab is already filtering naturally the extreme low and high frequencies, so there should not be necessary to apply further EQ filtering.
However, generally speaking the EQ should be used relying more on the hearing perception than on numbers diplayed.

Any additional equalization is good as long as you are happy with the results.
Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:22 am On the other side, the Low, Mid & High Frequency of this page are general adjustments of cut frequency on each band for all the patches? If not, where does it affect the sound?
The Global Eq is applied only to the POD physical outputs signals, not on the single patches..
Also, it doesn't affect at all the signal going through USB (eg when recording in your DAW with the POD directly connected through USB and used as the audio interface)
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

allabouthd500x wrote:IMO the amp real cab is already filtering naturally the extreme low and high frequencies, so there should not be necessary to apply further EQ filtering.
However, generally speaking the EQ should be used relying more on the hearing perception than on numbers diplayed.

Any additional equalization is good as long as you are happy with the results.
As I have been told by an audio engineer, using this kind of filters avoid overload of energy the cone of the amp, specially on sub-low-end frequencies. The same for high-end frequencies. It is better for the cabinet’s health... ;)
allabouthd500x wrote: The Global Eq is applied only to the POD physical outputs signals, not on the single patches..
Also, it doesn't affect at all the signal going through USB (eg when recording in your DAW with the POD directly connected through USB and used as the audio interface)
So, how/where can I set the EQ for physical outputs signals? I mean... on that configuration page, I have set only the cut frequencies, but not its +/-dB, or its “Q”...
allabouthd500x
Site Admin

Post by allabouthd500x »

Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:59 pm So, how/where can I set the EQ for physical outputs signals? I mean... on that configuration page, I have set only the cut frequencies, but not its +/-dB, or its “Q”...
The Global EQ can be switched ON/OFF, if it is turned ON the LOW and HIGH CUT parameters to have an audible effect on the signal need only to be set in between the 20 Hz - 20.000 Hz range (which corresponds to the maximum frequencies still percepible by the human been if the hearing is still 100% perfectly working)..

All the other Global EQ parameters available refer to the 3 parametric bands which you can use to equalize the LOW mids, the MID mids and the HIGH mids, for each parametric band there are 3 parameters: (center) frequency, gain (positive/negative) and Q (steepness of the bell curve).. if you leave them as they are by default they do nothing to the signal, in particular each parametric band does nothing to the signal when its GAIN parameter is set to zero dB.

Generally speaking:
the LOW CUT is useful to cut boominess, the HIGH CUT is useful to cut harshness/fizzyness, the 3 parametric bands are useful to sculpt the signal if/as needed.
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

Thank you very much! How many wasted time looking for info on internet before finding this awesome forum!!
allabouthd500x
Site Admin

Post by allabouthd500x »

Bartok wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:40 pm Thank you very much! How many wasted time looking for info on internet before finding this awesome forum!!
You're welcome!
Thank you for the kind words.
I'm glad your appreciation.

I and hurghanico (same person).
Nico
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

Nice to meet both! :lol:
hurghanico