FX for Bass

Bartok

FX for Bass

Post by Bartok »

Hi, there!

I have noticed some FX doesn’t work properly on bass, like the octaver, for example. In theory, an effect is simply that: an effect. It should affect different signals in the same way, like a filter HPF /HPF, for example... But some of this effects doesn’t work properly on bass.

The octaver, for example, should simply add a half-hertz signal to the original one, but it doesn’t sound tuned when I use lower notes on bass. Is it possible modifying any configuration preset for adapt/optimize the FX to bass frequencies?

Best!
LINE6 POD HD500X for Electric Bass
hurghanico

Re: FX for Bass

Post by hurghanico »

Hi Bartok,
I never tried the Octaver FX with a bass, but given what you are reporting above I guess it was calibrated only on the frequencies typically reachable with the guitar..
If so there is nothing you can really do to change its behavior..

But you could try instead the Pitch Glide FX tuned 12 half steps down and see if it can track correctly all the frequencies you need.

In regard to FXs which should work particulary well with bass I remember there is a EQ called 4 Band Shift EQ

here is its description (taken from the model gallery):
Four band graphic but the shifter moves the lower band even lower and the higher bands even higher. Try shifter above 50% for guitar and below for bass guitar.
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

I will try that and tell you... 8-)
Bartok

Post by Bartok »

I was making some test with no result, but I think I have found the cause...

Everything works ok on bass but the octaver. It simply adds a low octave by dividing the original frequency in a half. For example, the low B on bass is 31.5Hz. Its half is 15.75Hz... Too low for the human earing!!! That was sinply the problem.

I have tested it with specific bass octavers: Aguilar, EBS, MXR... The same problem on same frequencies (*), so no problem on the HD500X!

Best!

(*) If you notice it, no bass octaver adds uses a five string bass!!! Hahaha!!!
hurghanico

Post by hurghanico »

Bartok wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:11 pm I was making some test with no result, but I think I have found the cause...

Everything works ok on bass but the octaver. It simply adds a low octave by dividing the original frequency in a half. For example, the low B on bass is 31.5Hz. Its half is 15.75Hz... Too low for the human earing!!! That was sinply the problem.

I have tested it with specific bass octavers: Aguilar, EBS, MXR... The same problem on same frequencies (*), so no problem on the HD500X!

Best!

(*) If you notice it, no bass octaver adds uses a five string bass!!! Hahaha!!!
Good to know!