Global EQ Doubt

Eriko77

Global EQ Doubt

Post by Eriko77 »

Hi,

It is a pleasure to become part of this forum. I have a doubt of how to use properly the global eq.

Do you have any examples of a good configuration in the global eq?, this, in order to substitute the parametric eq that I'm using in my patches. I want a free slot for other effects.
hurghanico

Re: Global EQ Doubt

Post by hurghanico »

Eriko77 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:39 pm Hi,

It is a pleasure to become part of this forum. I have a doubt of how to use properly the global eq.

Do you have any examples of a good configuration in the global eq?, this, in order to substitute the parametric eq that I'm using in my patches. I want a free slot for other effects.
Wow! :D ..
You are the very first member to post a question in this forum!.. I will remember it!.. Thanks for joining in and for posting!..

Regarding your question I would say that if you want to replace your parametric EQ you should consider where you have the parametric EQ in your chain, and also with which settings, to see if it can be replaced effectively,.. moreover the global EQ applies to all the patches the same way, it is not a per patch setting..

the Global EQ is placed fixed at the very end of everything in the chain, so if the parametric EQ that you want to replace is placed at a different point, the result with the Global EQ will be different, since the EQ position in the chain does matter..

regarding the EQ settings, the parametric EQ frequency values are expressed in percentages where instead in the Global EQ are expressed in Hertz..

following here you can see the correspondence between the parametric EQ percentages and the values in Hertz:

0% - 50 Hz
5% - 75 Hz
10% - 105 Hz
15% - 135 Hz
20% - 175 Hz
25% - 220 Hz
30% - 315 Hz
35% - 395 Hz
40% - 540 Hz
45% - 700 Hz
50% - 880 Hz
55% - 1150 Hz
60% - 1400 Hz
65% - 1670 Hz
70% - 2000 Hz
75% - 2300 Hz
80% - 2750 Hz
85% - 3150 Hz
90% - 3600 Hz
95% - 4000 Hz
100% - 4500 Hz

the other thing which need to be translated in this case is the "Q" parameter, which in the parametric EQ is expressed in percentages from 00% to 100%, and in the Global EQ is expressed in numbers from 0,0 to 10,0..

this is easy, just put the comma before the last digit of the percentages and you get the corresponding value for the Global EQ..

you asked for examples of a good configuration in the global eq..

well, apart from suggesting to use the LOW CUT and HIGH CUT parameters (which are not parametric) to cut the extreme low and high frequencies, let say by cutting about everything below 70 Hz and everything abobe 7 kHz, the true parametric bands settings really depend on the patch and models used, and your idea of the tone you want..

so if you found a setting of your parametric EQ good for you, try to replicate it with the Global EQ with the help of the correspondences between values that I have described above.

I hope I was somehow helpful.
Eriko77

Post by Eriko77 »

It was an awesome response!!!

I will remember your kindness and acertivity as well. Unfortunately, I made a mistake
In every single patch I use the graphic EQ, not the parametric (I'm so sorry) with the following configuration:

80Hz to -2.4dB, 220Hz to 0.0dB, 440Hz to 4.1dB, 1.1kHz to 2.6dB and 2.2 kHz to 0.0dB

I use to use a sound with a Park75 model in the edge of break up (Some kind of Brown sound, John Mayer Sound).I want to translate my Graphic EQ configuration-cuts to the global EQ and save one slot for other effect, but due to the Q factor I'm not getting what I want. Is some one here using the Global EQ and getting nice results?

Can you give me some guidance?
hurghanico

Post by hurghanico »

Eriko77 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 pm Unfortunately, I made a mistake
In every single patch I use the graphic EQ, not the parametric (I'm so sorry) with the following configuration:

80Hz to -2.4dB, 220Hz to 0.0dB, 440Hz to 4.1dB, 1.1kHz to 2.6dB and 2.2 kHz to 0.0dB
Ok..
in this case if you are trying to translate the Graphic EQ settings to Global EQ (parametric) settings I suggest to use very low values for the "Q" parameters..

Probably the Q = 0.7 default setting gives a good approximation of how the frequency bands in the graphic EQ would respond.
You basically need to work the frequency bands around just 3 frequencies: 80 Hz, 440 Hz, and 1.1 kHz.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

personally I use the Global EQ and adjust its parameters only to make my saved tones sounding the same as good in different enviroments, and I use it only when it is striclty necessary..

for EQ work on my tones I always use the other (not global) EQ FXs, so every patch has its custom settings.

Good luck.
Eriko77

Post by Eriko77 »

I understand that the Q is the range of that particular frecuency, higger the Q wider the range and Viceversa. Is this right?
hurghanico

Post by hurghanico »

Eriko77 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:19 am I understand that the Q is the range of that particular frecuency, higger the Q wider the range and Viceversa. Is this right?
Yes the "Q" is the range of the band around that particular frequency, but it works the other way around to what you said, ie bigger value means narrower band, and viceversa.
Eriko77

Post by Eriko77 »

Thank you!