HD500X not visible to Monkey/Edit on Windows 10

bryandowen

HD500X not visible to Monkey/Edit on Windows 10

Post by bryandowen »

I've opened a support ticket with Line 6, but found this wonderful forum and thought I'd ask here: Is anybody having issues with Line 6 Monkey and/or POD HD500X Edit thinking that the HD500X is not plugged in when it is?

I used Monkey and Edit on a Windows 7 laptop years ago, and everything worked great. I haven't touched the HD500X in a couple years, and decided to fire it up last night. My new Windows 7 box just refuses to recognize it. (Coincidentally, my Macbook doesn't see it either, but I want to keep it simple and focus on the Windows 7 issue.)

What I've done so far:
- Installed Line 6 Monkey
- Fired it up and installed Line 6 Windows 10 drivers for HD500X (also supports a bunch of other products)
- Installed Edit
- Line 6 Monkey says HD500X isn't plugged in. :-(
- Edit says HD500X isn't plugged in. :-(
- Switched USB cables to make sure it's not a worn cable (no dice)
- Noted in Windows Device Manager that it sees the HD500X plugged in ("POD HD500X" is listed under "Other devices", and under Properties, says either "The device cannot start. (Code 10) ... The I/O device reported an I/O error." or "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".)

So it's evident that Windows 10 knows on some level that the device is there - it's just not able to communicate with it properly. It seems like a driver issue, or a conflict with something else. Or (horror of horrors) the HD500X is actually busted. (I can edit patches locally, no sign of anything amiss on the board itself.)

I'm just wondering if anybody else has an "Oh yeah, here's how you fix it" up their sleeve.

Thanks!

-Bryan
hurghanico

Re: HD500X not visible to Monkey/Edit on Windows 10

Post by hurghanico »

the fact that you have the same issue with win 10, win 7, and Macbook, makes me suspect that could be a problem with the POD USB port..

please check the POD USB port to see if it is ok..

here is the pic of a broken USB port with its reptangle thing missing and the pins bent):

and here is the pic of a good one which still has the reptangle thing in the middle as it should be:

bryandowen

Post by bryandowen »

Thank you! I was also worried that I might have stepped on the USB cable while it was plugged in, and damaged the USB port.

It turns out that it was something else common to both my Windows 10 machine and Macbook...

After a bunch of experimentation and voiding my warranty (surely run out anyway) by disassembling this thing into HD500X *molecules*, taking ohmmeter readings between USB port pins and the PC board (which were fine), I discovered - quite by accident - that the problem was that I was plugging this guy into a USB3 (that's USB v3) port on my Windows machine. As I was experimenting, I noticed I was using a USB3 port, instead plugged it into a USB2 port, and voila -- it works like a charm.

The mystery solver: The Macbook *only* has USB3 ports, which *should* be backward compatible with USB2, but evidently aren't.

Now that I'm connected, I've verified in Line 6 Monkey that I have the latest USB firmware on the device, so there's no upgrade that's going to fix this. it looks like HD500X is just USB3-unfriendly. Who knew.

Anyway, thanks again!
hurghanico

Post by hurghanico »

bryandowen wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 am the problem was that I was plugging this guy into a USB3 (that's USB v3) port on my Windows machine. As I was experimenting, I noticed I was using a USB3 port, instead plugged it into a USB2 port, and voila -- it works like a charm.

The mystery solver: The Macbook *only* has USB3 ports, which *should* be backward compatible with USB2, but evidently aren't.

Now that I'm connected, I've verified in Line 6 Monkey that I have the latest USB firmware on the device, so there's no upgrade that's going to fix this. it looks like HD500X is just USB3-unfriendly.
I'm glad you found the solution :) ..

in fact I have heard from several people that the POD is incompatible with USB3, and also with USB hubs..
especially with desktop computers it happens that some of the USB ports available are actually USB hubs
TimothyZ

Post by TimothyZ »

Do this after trying different things, like check if your cable is good, check the ports etc…

Also FYI I did this on a windows 11.

Before continuing to read

DO THIS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!
DISABLING SECURITY FUTURES AND DELETING THINGS LIKE DRIVERS COULD BE HARMFUL!

After you checked that your cables and connections are good then another issue might be the “memory integrity” setting.
Try turning this off before you installed what you need (have the installation files ready), then install everything you need. Like the Editor and Monkey; perhaps try first installing the editor.

Try downloading everything to a folder on the desktop top (Home Screen) so that you can find it and delete it later if needed.

Then plug in your pod in see if it shows up.

I recommend turning the “Memory integrity” back on as SOON AS POSSIBLE since it’s a security feature.

If you get an error while trying to turn it back on then you might have to delete the Line 6 drivers.

Before you continue reading here is a warning:
IF YOU ARE NOT SURE IF ITS A LINE 6 DRIVER, THEN YOU MIGHT WANT TO LEAVE IT ALONE. I think deleting drivers that the computer needs to function could result in a problem, so just be careful when deleting things.

You could delete drivers by going to Device manager->Veiw->then click “Show Hidden devices” then(expand the sections) and go through all of the devices and delete the ones that have line 6 in their name.